Mermaid Party Ideas
||Mermaid Parties are great for year round fun. If it is cold outside, take this mermaid party indoors and make it an indoor pool party. On a hot summer day, a backyard party provides a perfect opportunity to beat the heat and celebrate a birthday. For a more formal event, make it a Mermaid Tea Party complete with mermaid costumes and elegant tea cups.
Mermaid Party Supplies
Photo credits: Tea Cakes and Teddy Bears
Mermaid Birthday Plan
- Mermaid Party Supplies
- Mermaid Party Invitations
- Mermaid Party Birthday Party Decor
- Mermaid Party Crafts
- Mermaid Party Party Menu & Recipes
- Mermaid Party Birthday Cakes & Desserts
- Mermaid Party Party Games and Activities
- Mermaid Party Birthday Party Favors
Mermaid Party Invitations
- Send out personalized Invitations to your guests. This theme is pretty versatile so you can send out any beach, shell, mermaid themed invitations that suits your needs and taste, or that fits with the theme of your party - whether it’s an indoor pool party, mermaid party or outdoor, informal backyard bash. Here are a few ideas:
- Mermaid Party Invitations.
- Beach Party Invitations.
- Shell Invitations.
- Pirate Party Invitations.
Mermaid Party Decorations
The idea is to create an under the sea experience. Think Disney Little Mermaid. Think Turquoise Ocean Blue!
- Bubbles. At the entrance of the house, run a bubble machine. Play themed music like songs from the Disney Little Mermaid Soundtrack.
- Sea and Ocean colors. Decorate the room using colors of aqua, blue and green.
- Seaweed. Hang green and blue streamers from the ceiling like sea weed.
- Bubbles. Hang pearl balloons in clusters from the ceiling like bubbles.
- Fish and Sea Animals. Make Paper fish out of cardboard or paper and hang them on different heights. A great activity for kids is to let them color a picture of a fish and let them hang their fish from the ceiling. When they are ready to go home, they can take their art work home.
- Fish net and Decor. Drape a fishnet over the party table and decorate with starfish, shells, large jewels, gold coins, and sparkle confetti.
- Table Centerpiece. Use a large themed centerpiece like a Sea Shell cake, blue glass bowl with fish, or Little Mermaid Cake.
- Mermaid Napkin Rings. Create Shell Napkin Rings for your Mermaid Party Table.
- Picture Props. Get large giant Sea Shells and fill with pearl strands, beads and glitter confetti. Use as a picture prop for taking pictures or on a party table as decor. A glittery backdrop made of blue turquoise fabric will provide an instant ocean backdrop. For an extra touch use a large palm trees or octupus standee props.
- Make a Fish bowl punch. Get “sea creatures” refreezable plastic ice cubes and use that to keep your punch cool and also to provide the festive themed look.
- Fishing Pole Cookies. Simple sugar cookie dough transforms into a school of sweet finned friends with a fish-shaped cookie cutter and brightly colored icing.
- Fish and Chip Snack mix. A crunchy mix of fish-shape crackers, pretzel fish, and oyster crackers, is a great pick-up snack for kids. This is an easy snack to set-up and adds another easy “fishy” theme to the table.
- Tropical Freeze. To beat the heat, serve small bowls of frozen sherbet flavored with fresh fruit and sweet dessert toppings, like whip cream, and crushed pineapple.
- Pirate Ship Sandwiches. Make mini Pirate Ship Sub Sandwiches for the kids.
- Mini Submarines. Transform an ordinary hot dog into a mini bite-size sandwich to satisfy big hungry appetites.
- Seven-Seas Pasta Salad. Fill this pasta salad with healthy and crunch treasures. Pasta shells, shaped veggies, and star-shaped cheese will be loved by all.
- Make Shell-shaped Sandwiches. Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches are usually popular but check for allergies first among your guests. Another favorite and safe option is butter and jelly sandwiches. Use a shell-shaped cookie cutter to cut out sandwiches. You can also use fish, star fish or other shell-shaped cutters.
Mermaid Birthday Party Cake
- Order a mermaid cake with mermaid toppers or make your own Mermaid Cake. Print out a picture of a mermaid online and trace onto wax paper. Cut out the different parts of the wax mermaid into smaller sections and use that as your template. Trace the template for each part using icing. Finish tracing all the parts until you have a full Mermaid on the cake. Fill the mermaid with the appropriate colors. Add sea weed, fish and shells to decorate.
- Another cake idea is to make your own Mermaid Shell Cake using sugar paste, fondant and icing.
- For another easy option, use a Fish Cake Pan. Decorate like a “Nemo” using white and orange icing.
- Use an Ariel Cake Topper and place on top of an ice cream cake or regular cake.
Mermaid Party Crafts
- Treasure Box. A fun craft is to have kids decorate a treasure box. This is a great craft for boys and girls alike, especially if you will be using it as part of a treasure hunt later during the party. During the treasure hunt, kids can fill their treasure box with little “treasures” they find along the way.
- Mermaid Necklace and Boy Shell necklaces. Make mermaid necklaces using shells, pretty aqua beads, glass beads, and shell-shaped pendants.
- Sand Candy. Make sand candy art with various shaped bottles. Make Sandy Candy necklaces.
- Beach Pail. Decorate a beach pail with stickers, gems, and lettering. Use the pail to fill candy from a pinata or to collect favors later on during the mermaid party.
- Picture Frame Favor. Decorate a picture frame with gems, stickers and glitter glue. Take pictures of the kids in costume for a great party favor.
Mermaid Party Games
A backyard water park provides kids with good, clean fun close to home, plus it’s easy to set up. If you don’t have a pool, there are still ways to make this mermaid party fun. All you need is a water source.
- Make it “rain” over an umbrella. Stick a big beach or table umbrella in the ground or in its stand. Attach a garden hose to the top of the pole, turn it on, then stand back and watch the kids squirm and giggle with delight!
- Play a game of water-balloon baseball or water-balloon toss. Give each team one point for every balloon its players break. The outfielders won’t field many balls, but they can tag the runners before they get to base.
- Hook up some special sprinklers. Get inexpensive sprinklers that spray water in wild ways such as whirling towers, flowers, fountains, and colorful tubes.
- Diving for Treasures. Fill a mini blow-up pool with water. Drop various gems, pearls, necklaces, plastic toys and inexpensive favors into the pool. Blind fold guest one by one and let the find their treasures to fill their treasure chest.
- Play Silent Charades. Give a necklace similar to The Little Mermaid’s to one guest. This guest is now “Ariel” and will loose their voice. “Ariel” picks a card out of a pile of pre-made index cards. On each card there is a word or picture of a sea-themed object like fish, star fish, shells, sand, beach ball, etc. “Ariel the mermaid” will have to try to describe the object using hand motions to the rest of her mer-friends. Others try to guess what the object is. Once someone guesses correct, the person who is “it” gets their voice back and passes necklace on to the next person.
- Picture Frame Favors. Use the picture frames created in the above craft. Print out pictures of each child with the Birthday child. Give this as a favor and a great memento of the Mermaid party.
- Mermaid Party Favors. Other popular Mermaid favors include bubbles, Little Mermaid stickers, lip gloss, necklaces, body glitter, bracelet and punch balloons.
More Mermaid Related Party Information:
- Recipes: Mermaid and Pirate Party Recipes
- Supplies: Mermaid Party Resources
- Drinks: Easy Summer Luau Drink Recipes
- Food: Easy Luau Foods
- Game: Captain Hook Pirate Game