Mardi Gras Party
||Mardi Gras is celebrated on the day before Ash Wednesday and is often referred to as “Fat Tuesday”. Mardi Gras or Carnival is celebrated in various cities and countries and is known for its wild parades, loud music, masquerade balls, floats and street festivals. Why not celebrate and have your own Mardi Gras Party? This theme is perfect for a Birthday Party, High School Prom, or Fundraiser! Mardi Gras Party Supplies|
Mardi Gras Party Plan
- Mardi Gras Party Supplies
- Mardi Gras Invitations
- Mardi Gras Party Decor
- Mardi Gras Crafts
- Mardi Gras Recipes
- Mardi Gras Cakes
- Mardi Gras Games
- Mardi Gras Favors
Mardi Gras Party Invitations
||Make your own Mardi Gras Invitation using purple and green card stock, gold embellishments, streamers, confetti, sparkles and beads. Ask your guests to wear masks and costumes to the party.|
Mardi Gras Party Decorations
- Mardi Gras Colors.Use purple, green and gold colors in your party decoration, paper goods, plates and table setting.
- The color purple represents justice.
- The color green represents faith.
- The color gold stands for power.
- Table Cloth Layering. Place a green rectangular table cloth as the first layer and then place a smaller purple one as a topper on top.
- Gold Lame Gossamer Fabric. Place a small pedestal in the center of the table and then drape gold shimmery gossamer fabric over it for extra sparkle and interest. Fold and curve the fabric in different angles and creases over and around the pedestal. Place a centerpiece in the middle on the pedestal.
- Gold Chargers. Use gold chargers for your place settings and place plates with gold and green trim on top. Here the Lenox Classic Collection Fine Bone China was used.
- Mardi Gras Confetti. Sprinkle confetti on the table in various locations to pick up the colors and sparkle.
- Beads, beads, beads. Usually inexpensive beads or toys were thrown from floats to parade-goers during Mardi Gras. Use lots of beads in your party decor and give them out to your guests as well. Wrap around champagne bottles, candle holders, napkins as napkin rings, etc.
- Mardi Gras Napkin Rings. Make your own Mardi Gras napkin rings for the Mardi Gras party by using inexpensive readily available materials for a custom look.
- Masks for the ball. Decorate the table and centerpiece with lots of masks. Make your own masks or purchase them ready-made. Get extras for those guests who come without masks.
- Balloons and streamers. Use green, purple and gold balloons and streamers to decorate the party room. Balloons and streamers are an easy, affordable way to provide instant splashes of color.
- Doubloons. Place lots of large coins in Mardi Gras colors on the table or in various areas of your party rooms. Doubloons or Mardi gras coins were also thrown to the crowds during Mardi Gras parades.
- Murals. If you can find murals of a Mardi Gras Scene or decorating kit, put them up to recreate the New Orleans festive scene. Other Mardi Gras icons to look for:
- The faces of comedy and drama
- Fleur de lis French symbols of the iris flower
- Posters and signs the Mardi Gras colors
- Crown fit for a King or Queen. Decorate the room or table with crowns, scepters and perhaps a royal robe fit for a king or queen. Use the items during the crowing of the King and Queen of Mardi Gras at the beginning of the party.
- Street Signs. Get street signs of famous New Orleans streets and post them on walls or on a decorative lamppost indoors or outdoors.
- All Things New Orleans. Decorate with all things from New Orleans, souvenirs, postcards, cook books, mugs, and other favors from New Orleans. Give out these items as prizes during game time.
Mardi Gras Guest Arrival and Introduction
- Attire. Ask guests to come dressed to the party in costumes and masks. Have extra mardi gras masks on hand for those arriving without one.
- Mardi Gras Beads. Give out Mardi Gras beads to everyone as they enter.
- Jazz and Dixie Land Music. Play Mardi Gras music, jazzy tunes and Dixie Land music from itunes, CD, radio, etc.
- King and Queen of Carnival, Rex. Pick a King and Queen of the Carnival for your party and have them lead the mardi gras parade. Have a formal pageant and ceremony at the beginning of the party and award the winners crowns and robes. Perhaps they can perform a talent and have a panel of judges give out scores. After the crowning, a fun congo line around the room accompanied by some loud, jazzy music would be a great way to get the party started!
Mardi Gras Party Crafts
|Make your own Mardi Gras Party Mask out of paper mache. Use this easy recipe of 1 part flour and 2 parts water to create the “glue” to make the masks. Just use strips of old newspaper and mold the mask around a large cup. Cut out eyes with scissors and then decorate with more paper, glitter and gold ribbon. Great way to recycle those old newspapers!|
Mardi Gras Party Recipes
- Serve a Cajun menu like jambalaya, gumbo, dirty rice, okra, crawfish, corn and corn bread.
|Make a delicious Cajun Louisiana Jambalaya dish for your Mardi Gras Party. This dish is made out of rice, sausage, shrimp, saffron, chicken, and other spices.|
|Serve Purple Jesus Drinks at your Mardi Gras Party! Delicious sweet and you will hardly notice the alcohol. Try this easy recipe of Grape Kool Aid and vodka. Pour ingredients in a punch bowl. Decorate by stringing grapes in a strand using fish wire to make it look like purple beads. Repeat the same with green beads. Freeze grape beads. Float in punch bowl when ready to serve.|
Mardi Gras Party Cakes
- Serve King Cake, paczki and Mardi Gras cupcakes as dessert.
||Make your own King Cake with this easy recipe. Traditionally King Cakes have a trinket, a bean or little plastic baby hidden inside. The person that ends up with the piece of cake with the item, gets to be the next King of the Mardi Gras, has to buy the next King Cake or has to host the next King Cake Party. Purchase pre-made refrigerated Cinnamon Bun dough, purple, green and yellow sprinkles. Make dough according to directions. Insert trinket into the baked bread. Drizzle white icing over cinnamon bun, followed by the sprinkles.|
||Paczki are traditional Polish doughnuts filled with various types of filling like apple, custard, lemon, strawberry, raspberry, and dusted with powdered sugar. For an easy option, purchase various jelly filled doughnuts instead to substitute for the Paczki.|
||Mardi Gras Mask Cookies. Make fun and festive treats in traditional Mardi Gras colors to coordinate with the rest of the theme.|
||Fleur De Lis are traditional French symbols commonly found in New Orleans. Make these decorated Fleur de Lis cookies as favors or treats for the party.|
Mardi Gras Party Games and Activities
- Mardi Gras Pageant. Hold a pageant to see who will be crowned King and Queen of the Mardi Gras for the night. Contestants will have to demonstrate a talent and judges score either thumbs up or down. Who ever gets the most votes, wins. Have an elaborate crowning ceremony followed by a congo line parade afterwards.
- Mardi Gras Baby Hunt. Hide the same baby that was in the King Cake and let everyone know that the baby is lost! See who can find it first.
- Mardi Gras Musical Chairs. Play loud Mardi Gras music and play the traditional game of Musical Chairs.
- Mardi Gras Coin Throwing Contest. Place a strip of tape on the ground to mark the spot for the thrower. Put 5 boxes in various distances from the line. Each box has different points, the further the box, the more points. Give guests each 3 coins. See who can throw the highest number of points. This person wins. You can substitute the coins for beads to change things up.
- Mardi Gras Coin Treasure Hunt. Before the party, scatter colored purple, gold and green coins all over the party room, all over the house and on the party table. Divide the guests into 3 teams, purple, gold and green. Tell the purple group to collect all the gold coins, tell the gold group to collect the green coins, and then tell the green group to collect the purple coins. Whichever group accomplishes the mission first, wins.
Mardi Gras Party Favors
- Mardi Gras Beads
- Mardi Gras Masks
Other Mardi Gras Related Posts
- Mardi Gras Party Supplies
- Mardi Gras Paper Mache Mask
- Mardi Gras Venetian Masks
- Mardi Gras Jambalaya
- Mardi Gras Purple Jesus Drink
- Mardi Gras Napkin Ring
- Mardi Gras Invitation
- Mardi Gras Party
- Mardi Gras Games