Harry Potter Party Ideas | Harry Potter Theme
||Harry Potter Theme Parties are one of the popular themes around for birthdays and Halloween. The books by J.K. Rowling is a series of seven fantasy novels that has inspired children of all ages to read and to fantasize what it may be like in the wizarding world. Harry Potter Party Supplies|
Harry Potter Party Plan
- Harry Potter Party Invitations
- Harry Potter Party Party Decor
- Harry Potter Party Crafts
- Harry Potter Party Recipes
- Harry Potter Party Cakes
- Harry Potter Party Games
- Harry Potter Party Favors
Harry Potter Party Invitations
- Harry Potter Party Invitations.
- Acceptance Letter By Professor McGonagall. An acceptance letter by Professor McGonagall was created as the invitation to the Harry Potter party. In the letter, the professor welcomed the kids back to school and guests were told to wear wizard attire to the party ( the party area would be well-protected by Memory Charms ). Create your own tea stained paper by using quality paper. When the paper is dry and ready, print out the invitation on a printer with the Hogwarts Crest on top to look like official letterhead.
- Harry Potter Pre-printed Invitation. Use pre-printed invitations for a quick and easy option for your Harry Potter party. Just fill in the details on the inside or let your child fill it in if they are old enough.
- Harry Potter Glasses and Bolt Tattoo. Attach a simple card to a pair of Harry Potter glasses with the party details as an invitation. Throw in a lightning bolt tattoo and tell guests to come with the glasses and bolt on their forehead to the party.
- Authentic Wax Seal. Seal your envelope with a “wax seal” that is created by dripping hot wax onto the envelope and using a stamp, perhaps with the letter of the “Guest of Honor”, to create an imprint like the Olden days.
- Most Wanted Fugitive. Make a newspaper invitation with the picture of the Guest of Honor being the “Most Wanted” fugitive, just like when Sirius Black escaped from the Prison of Azkaban (Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban).
Harry Potter Guest Arrival and Introduction
- Harry Potter Soundtrack. Play the official Harry Potter soundtrack when guests arrive.
- Brick Wall at Hogwarts Express. Create a brick wall out of fabric by painting bricks on a red brown fabric (if you can fabric that already has the brick pattern on it would be easier). Cut the fabric into strips to create a fringe entrance. Set up in front of the door way or garage door so guest would have to “walk through” the brick wall like in the movie on Platform 9 3/4 at the Hogwarts Express.
- Sorting Hat Ceremony and House assignment. Get a sorting hat, or make one using brown felt and a cone party hat. Place a cell phone underneath and set it on speaker phone. Sort the boys according to the four different houses, Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Slytherin and Ravenclaw. Once each has been assigned, give them a robe from Madame Maulkin’s Robe Shop. Enter the robe shop, give them a black robe and pin on the appropriate crest.
- Wand Selection. Next up, go to Olivander’s Wand Shop and have them select an appropriate wand that fit their personality and wizard strength. Before the party, collect different sticks from the garden from different trees and branches. Label the branches and sticks names like Rosewood, Vinewood, Weeping Willow and Rather Bendy.
Harry Potter Party Decorations
Decorate the party room and area like Diagon Alley and Hogwarts. We used the garage to set up little sections for each shop and the dining room indoors as Hogwarts’ banquet feast. The walls of the garage were covered with stone wall gossamer to create the old world look.
Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry – Party Decor
- Hogwarts Banner. Get a Hogwarts Banner to hang in the party room to make it look like the long banquets table at Hogwarts.
- Old World Decor. Go to rummage sales, antique places, grandma’s attic, Ebay , etc. to try to get as many antiques, old furniture, mirrors, candlelabras, etc. you can find. Use it in your party decorations, party room and party table.
- Fancy Feast. Set the table in an elaborate feast with themed snacks, cakes and desserts. Lots of candelabras, bowls with fresh fruit, chocolate frogs, breads, and goblets.
Madame Malkin’s Robe Shop – Party Decor
- Coat Rack or Wardrobe. Get a coat rack or an old wardrobe and hang black robes for each student. Get either the official Harry Potter robes, make your own, or get extra large men’s black t-shirts and cut a slit down the middle so kids can wear as a robe. Wrap the robe with fabric roping or pin closed using safety pins.
- Dusty Mirror. Put up a mirror with cobwebs in an area with other appropriate decorations for a dress shop.
Ollivander’s Wand Shop – Party Decor
- Wand Power. Collect as many branches from various trees, bushes and shrubs you can find. Put them in a pile and a few in a pot or vase. To make it more interesting label the origin of the branches like, willow, oak, maple, etc.
- Wand Display. Set up a fancy pillow and place a wand on it and label it as e.g. Harry Potter’s wand, Dumbledore’s or Tom Riddle’s wand as a special item in your wand store. In our Wand shop, we had Harry Potter’s, Ron’s, Hermione’s and Hagrid’s wand on display.
Flourish and Blotts Book Shop – Party Decor
- Shelves with Books. Get lots of old books and stack shelves with them. Check your local library, thrift stores or Salvation army for old books they no longer need and they will often give them away for free.
- Harry Potter Books. Use any or all of the 7 Harry Potter books as part of the collection for the store.
- Make Your Own Book Cover. Make your own book cover for books that are found in the stories and movies, like:
- “Care of Magical Creatures” – used by Hagrid for class. (Add in teeth and belt buckle)
- “Tom Riddle’s Diary” – diary of Tom Riddle (Voldemort). (Bind blank parchment paper together to look like a diary, but leave it blank. Use invisible ink to write in “Happy Birthday _____, from Voldemort” and reveal the writing at some point during the party).
- “Half-Blood Prince’s Potions Book” – book with potions, spells and recipe notes by Snape (get an old book and write in potion recipes by hand).
Gringotts Wizarding Bank – Party Decor
- Galleons, Sickle and Knuts. Get Gold coins for Galleons, Silver coins for Sickles and Bronze coins for Knuts. Fill bags with the coins and scatter them around the bank as well.
- Old Safe. If you can get a hold of an old safe, use it as a prop for the Gringott’s bank. Put lots of spider webs around it to make it look authentic.
- Goblin Guard. Try to get an adult or teenager to wear a goblin or Dobby suit to play goblin and security guard.
- Silver Engravings. Make a plaque by painting a piece of wood silver and write these words engraved on it and post it on the door:
Enter, stranger, but take heed
Of what awaits the sin of greed,
For those who take, but do not earn,
Must pay most dearly in their turn.
So if you seek beneath our floors
A treasure that was never yours,
Thief, you have been warned, beware
Of finding more than treasure there.
Harry Potter Party Plan (Continued)
- Harry Potter Party Party Decorations and Pictures (next page)
- Harry Potter Party Crafts (next page)
- Harry Potter Party Recipes (next page)
- Harry Potter Party Cakes (next page)
- Harry Potter Party Games (next page)
- Harry Potter Party Favors (next page)